- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 lbs ground turkey
- 3 large white onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 green bell peppers (any color), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-3 chipotles in adobo + 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 2 (28 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 (16 oz) carton chicken broth
- 1-2 (15 oz) can(s) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
Accompaniments: grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped avocado, diced sweet onion, chopped scallions, sliced jalapenos, chopped radishes
Heat an extra large, heavy stock pot on high heat, add 2 tablespoons of canola oil. Once the oil is hot, add the turkey. Make sure the turkey gets browned for extra flavor. Before it's fully cooked, remove and put aside in a bowl. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of canola oil, onions, peppers and garlic. Saute until onions are golden brown. Add the oregano, cumin, chili powder, bay leaves, chipotles and adobo sauce. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, chicken broth, kidney beans, brown sugar and salt.
Simmer for 1-2 hours, stirring every 20-30 minutes. Adjust spices and heat to your taste throughout the cooking process.
Pigeon Peas and Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 oz) cans green pigeon peas, drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
For the Pico de Gallo recipe, check the March 16th post.
The Rum Cake recipe....not happening, sorry, family secret.
Chocolate Chip Cookies - It was a mix from a bakery in San Francisco called Specialty's. The best cookies ever. If you know anyone who's headed to California, Chicago or Washington, ask them to pick up a box of mix for you!!
Roast Pork, this was done by Mr. Steele. Feel free to email him for his recipe.
Lemonade with Thyme - Get organic fresh thyme, bruise a bit, and tie a bunch with butcher twine. Add to the lemonade and let it sit overnight. Drink as is, or add vodka!
Rum Punch - To make a large pitcher, combine fruit punch (frozen or from the refrigerated section), OJ, pineapple juice, peach nectar, cranberry juice, grenadine. Add rum to your liking.
Let me know if you have any questions. Stay tuned for the next installment.