Since I've moved back to NY, it's been an "interesting" journey back home, but worth all the pains involved. Do I miss San Francisco, I do, especially the weather! We've had snow fall every week for the past 4 weeks. I'm over it, especially when the temp in SF is 60 degrees. I also miss the good friends I made out there that still keep in touch with me. Thanks guys!
The apartment is finally looking like a home, with just a few tweaks still needed here and there. All in all, we are ready for folks to come out to Brooklyn to visit.
Now, let's talk about NY and food. Getting back into the swing of things is tough with this extreme weather. But currently, my motivation has come through NYC Restaurant Week, which is happening now. It gives you the opportunity to try restaurants offering prix fixe lunches and dinners. I've been able to tackle a few:
Fig & Olive and Lure Fish Bar. It's also giving me the opportunity to reconnect with friends, which has been a blast.
Super Bowl XLV is Sunday, February 6th.
- Slow Roasted Pork - I think we know who'll be preparing this...We'll serve this with some warm potato rolls in case anyone wants to make sliders.
- Pigeon Peas & Rice - also known as Arroz con Gandules, can be used as a side for the pork or to use as a base for the chili.
- Turkey Chili - I make a super chunky, hearty chili with lots of veggies and a few surprise ingredients. I'll leave out the beans since there will be beans in the rice.
- Fresh Crudite with Hummus - I'm debating whether to make the hummus from scratch as I'm a huge fan of Tribes Hummus . Stay tuned.
- Pico de Gallo with chips- This is a tradition in my house. Pico de gallo is made for pretty much every sports event at the house. I like to make guacamole as well, but avocados are so expensive right now, unless I can find them on sale, it won't happen.
- Cookies - we'll have some fresh baked chocolate chip cookies.
- Rum Cake - for those of you who know me, it's a given.
I'll start posting details on all the recipes starting Friday in case you're interested in any of these dishes. Full details and pics on Monday.